Thursday 11 June 2020

The Hockey Show - Episode 403

The Hockey Show, Canada's only campus-produced radio show that strictly talks hockey, is back on the air tonight with an interview that I really enjoyed. I feel like there have been less laughs since we got stuck in this pandemic, but tonight's chat contained a lot of laughs and I really enjoyed it. I hope our guest did as well as we went over her life and hockey career in finer detail. I hope you'll enjoy the chat tonight as much as I did!

The person who brought the laughs to the show is none other than Winnipeg-born defender Jenna Thompson who starred on the blue line with the MacEwan Griffins! Jenna got her start in Winnipeg, though, where she patrolled the blue line for the St. Mary's Academy Flames before joining the Manitoba Bisons women's program. However, after red-shirting for a year, Jenna moved west to Edmonton where she found a home with the MacEwan Griffins. I'll talk to her tonight about playing for St. Mary's, the numbers game with Manitoba, the move to MacEwan, being coached by Lindsay McAlpine, taking a year off, her family, and more! Jenna was part of two ACAC Championships with MacEwan, so she has great perspective on how the team is built, and I ask her how she thinks the squad will do as a part of Canada West once the season gets underway!

Before we get the details on how and where to listen, I want to take a few moments to thank Jenna for talking about her dad who sounds like he was simply a wonderful man. Jenna's father is no longer with us after some medical issues, and I can't imagine what that loss is like. With it being Father's Day next weekend, I asked Jenna if there is a charity she'd love to see supported in her dad's honour, so, if you can spare a few dollars, please donate to the Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation. I know Mr. Thompson is watching over Jenna, and I am certain he's proud of the well-spoken, intelligent woman Jenna has become. May he forever rest in peace.

Where's the best place can you hear tonight's show if you're outside Winnipeg or not near a radio, you ask? The new UMFM website's online streaming player is pretty awesome if you want to listen online. If you're using an Apple device, the player doesn't seem to like Safari yet, but we highly recommend you use the TuneIn app found on the App Store or perhaps another browser. If you do use the TuneIn app, you won't be disappointed. It's a solid app.

If you have questions, you can email all show queries and comments to hockeyshow@umfm.com! Tweet me anytime with questions you may have by hitting me up at @TeebzHBIC on Twitter! I'm here to listen to you, so make your voice heard!

Tonight, Teebz goes one-on-one with a defensive defender in Jenna Thompson as we learn about her life, the Flames, the Bisons, the Griffins, playing outside, stepping behind the bench, and much more exclusively on 101.5 UMFM and on the UMFM.com web stream!

PODCAST: June 11, 2020: Episode 403

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: