Tuesday 18 August 2020

This One Hurt

I legitimately am stunned. There's always a chance that something like this can happen with cancer, but I never thought it was this bad with Dale Hawerchuk. He was always so positive and upbeat about defeating cancer and getting back into hockey that I never once considered his passing to be even remotely in realm of possibilities. When the news hit social media and through the hockey world today, I sit here in stunned silence. I just can't process this.

This man was a legend in the city of Winnipeg. For far too long while he wore the colours of the Winnipeg Jets, we underappreciated the wizardry he showed with the puck and the strength he showed as a leader for the Winnipeg Jets franchise. After he left, we were blessed with the skills of Teemu Selanne, but that too was short-lived after he was traded to the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. For a city that has boasted about its hockey stars, I personally feel that Dale Hawerchuk's name should be the first name that rolls off tongues when talking about the legendary players who have called this city home.

I have to admit that Ron MacLean's tribute to Dale Hawerchuk today produced a bit of a lump in my throat. Ron's an impeccable orator so his words are always meaningful, but his words today really struck a nerve in me. Here's Ron speaking about Dale on Sportsnet today.

I'll have an entire tribute to Dale Hawerchuk on The Hockey Show this week after we lost an amazing individual today. At 57, Dale Hawerchuk was taken from us far too young, and the hockey world feels a little emptier today in knowing that Dale Hawerchuk isn't a part of it any longer.

Rest in peace, Dale. You were always a legend in my eyes.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: