Monday 17 August 2020

Mattel Comes Through

I'm long past the days of playing with toys. Yes, some may see some of the things I have as toys, but I'd classify them as collectibles. While we're not here to split hairs, it's been a long, long time since I played with dolls of any kind. Mattel, which makes toys and, specifically, Barbie dolls, is a brand I'm very familiar with having been a kid once, but I've been waiting for Mattel since March 26, 2019 to follow through on something that they teased me and other shoppers with in an in-store display. Would we ever see a Barbie who is a hockey player as part of their role model series?

The answer is a resounding "yes" as Mattel tweeted out today an image of a Barbie doll in hockey gear! We'll discuss the ridiculous branding across the doll's jersey in a moment, but seeing a Barbie doll with a caged helmet and a hockey stick is pretty awesome! I'm not saying that I'd draft Barbie onto my team if she skated onto the ice wearing a Tim Hortons jersey or a Tim Hortons-branded stick, but if she can play, she'd be welcome on my team! The message buried under all that Tim Hortons branding, though, is that little girls can be anything they want to be, including hockey players, and that they should follow their dreams! Kudos for Mattel finally putting Barbie on skates and onto the ice for a hockey-obsessed country!

I don't know how much influence Tim Hortons had on this decision, but seeing all the Tim Hortons branding on this doll is a little insane and quite stereotypical of Canadians when it comes to how much Tim Hortons does. Yes, they're big supporters of minor hockey in Canada and I totally respect that, but why are they plastered all over this doll? The doll in the box features at least five Tim Hortons logos assuming one can see the stick, so I want to know how much influence they had in having this doll produced. This can't just be a coincidence - it never is when two massive companies like Tim Hortons and Mattel come together on a collaboration.

The cost of bringing home this specific Barbie doll will set you back $30 if you buy at Toys-R-Us. If found that to be a little eyebrow-raising, but I haven't kept up with the rising costs of inflation in the Barbie world. Honestly, if your child is into Barbie and is into hockey, I don't believe that cost is prohibitive in any way assuming that one has the means to purchase it. Bring home the Tim Hortons Barbie Doll (12-inch) Collectible Barbie Doll in Hockey Uniform!

Or don't. That branding irritates me to no end. Maybe they can put out NHL-branded accessories for Barbie rather than this corporate garbage from Tim Hortons? That would be better. Do it, Mattel. Make it happen.

It's still good to see Mattel creating a Barbie doll that allows little girls to follow their hockey dreams. It's taken way too long to get Barbie on skates, but I'm glad to finally see it happen!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: