Tuesday 3 October 2023

Banned For Stupidity

I know it seems like a rather ludicrous question, but what would the punishment be for a hockey player if he were to kill an opposing player? Of course, I'm neither advocating nor wanting to see anything like that happen, but it seems that it could have happened in Edmonton on September 27 during a Noralta Junior C Hockey League game between the Junior Braves and the South West Zone Oil Kings. The details will be recounted in a moment, but what kind of suspension length sounds like an appropriate punishment for intentionally trying to injure an opposing player?

As per this CTV Edmonton report, Richie Compo of the Junior Braves was playing in that September 27 game when Nate Plaunt of the South West Zone Oil Kings stepped on Compo's head with his skate. Thankfully, Compo was wearing a league-mandated cage and neck guard for protection, but the result of the step was Compo's neck being cut by the skate blade of Plaunt, resulting in a 12-stitch wound that nearly nicked his jugular vein.

"I was on the ice. He stepped on my head," Richie Compo told CTV's Sean Amato of the incident. "I checked my neck, my hand, there was blood. So I ripped off my helmet.

"There was no, no pain, it was just 'I'm dead.' That's all I could think was 'I'm dead.'"

According to the game report, referee Spencer Acheson stated that he gave Plaunt a match penalty for "deliberately kicking" an opponent in his "neck/face area," noting, "I considered the act to be a kicking motion and one that was violent considering the vulnerable position of the Braves player."

Amato's report stated that "Plaunt received an automatic three-game suspension and will have a discipline hearing on Thursday where league officials can decide to ban him for longer." That may not be the only trouble that Plaunt faces as the Edmonton Police Service are treating the incident as an "alleged assault" as well, so things may only get worse for Plaunt before they get better.

I'll leave the legal matters to work themselves out, but the hockey matter is one that should be pretty quick to rule on and I'd throw the book at Plaunt for his actions in banning him for life. There is zero excuse for a player of any age to even consider kicking an opponent when there's a blade stuck to the bottom of the skate, let alone having players aged 18-21 doing something like that. If this was deemed intentional by the referee who witnessed the action, it must be treated as an on-ice incident that needs a heavy example to prevent anyone else from doing it.

Make no mistake that Plaunt will plead that he never intended to hurt Compo, and this is where video evidence and the statements from the on-ice officials will be vital in helping the Noralta Junior C Hockey League disciplinary team determine the correct punishment for Plaunt. Frankly, I don't see how he cannot be banned for purposely stepping on an opponent, but, if Chris Simon can get 20 games for stomping on the leg of an opponent in the NHL, I could be way off in my attempt to make the game safer.

We'll see what happens on Thursday as I'll be checking in on this story, but I'll make the assumption right now that the punishment will be harsh with Richie Compo's neck being sliced open. I'll be quick to point out that if a player's thoughts went to stepping on an opponent with a skate blade, they could definitely go there again. For that reason, I'd show Plaunt the door and make sure it locks behind him. Some may see that punishment as overly harsh and unfair, but we could be talking about Richie Compo bleeding to death on the ice right now.

Actions have consequences. Remember that.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: