Monday 2 October 2023

The Future Of HBIC

The number to the left became real yesterday as HBIC crept past the 5900th article on this platform. Frankly, that number is bewildering to me in trying to make sense of knowing that I've written that much about the sport of hockey, but I suppose anything that's happened daily since January 21, 2007 will have some longevity to it. Having been doing this since that date in 2007, though, means there needs to be some reflection on how much longer I may want to do this. It's a question that I've struggled with for the last few years, and it's one that I may finally now answer.

I'm almost certain that there are people who read this blog and wonder why I leave blocks of days where nothing is written. I know it may be hard to believe, but I do have a life at times and I try to get out and enjoy some of the great festivals, amazing attractions, fun events, and even take in a hockey game or two that pull me away from HBIC Headquarters. I do enjoy doing some of these things. and would try to do more of them if I didn't need to write about some of the good, crazy, or disappointing things seen in hockey.

I often get asked how I find something to write about everyday on HBIC, and my honest answer is, "This game is so good on so many levels and at so many levels". It's part of the reason I watch women's hockey so closely - everyone else is missing out on how amazing these women are when it comes to how the game is played. The same can be said for para hockey as I've been reading more about that game and some of the incredible athletes who partake in that sport. It's hard not to write about these great people doing great things, but there is a stark dose of reality that we all face because hockey's not all rainbows and butterflies.

Whether it was the Hockey Canada scandal, the Mike Babcock incident, the hazing incidents seen at schools this year, or the never-ending stories of people in hockey behaving poorly, there are times where I really just want to walk away from talking about the game. While I get that nothing will be a constant feed of good news, some of the heinous things seen in hockey over the years I've been covering this game have had me discouraged and disillusioned. I'm not sure I should be as cynical as I am, but I feel like major changes are needed in the game to prevent stuff that we've seen from happening again.

So where does that leave HBIC? I'm not quite sure at this point. I had thoughts about a year ago that my final article would be numbered at 6687 - 66 for Mario Lemieux, 68 for Jaromir Jagr, and 87 for Sidney Crosby - as a way for me to honour the best players to have ever worn the jersey of my favorite team, but I realize that hitting that number would mean I'd have to continue writing for more than two years. Do I want to undertake that effort? I'm not so sure.

At this point, I'm aiming for the next round number as an evaluation point. If and when I hit 6000 posts on HBIC, I'll re-evaluate once again. You might chuckle and say, "Teebz, that's 100 days away," and I'd compliment you on your mathematical and chronological skills. 100 days would take me to January 9, 2024, but I feel like I can't just quit in the middle of a season, especially when it comes to The Rundown where those women playing Canada West hockey deserve a much larger and brighter spotlight.

You know have some insight into what's been going on behind-the-scenes when it comes to this blog. There are days I literally look at my laptop and think, "Nope, I have zero interest" while I find something else to do. As much as I want to walk away, though, I'll stick around through to the end of this season because I still see so much good in the game. Yes, there will be rainy days, but we'll re-evaluate in January and see how I feel about keeping this as a daily addition. As for this season, there's a better-than-good chance I'll see it through to the end thanks to a number of opportunities that have presented themselves.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: