Friday 24 October 2008

Warm Friday Feelings

I'm sick. I have a head cold, and I really am struggling to stay upright. My nose is clogged, my head is pounding, and my body aches. Despite my best hangover imitation, I'm shutting this place down for the day, and sending all the employees home. But before we do that, I will offer up some interesting news because, well, that's what we do on these sites. There are a couple of things to highlight, and one is a fabulous contest that anyone can enter. I'll do a quick run-down of all the major stories below. Let's get rolling before my head explodes.

  • I was contacted by a gentleman named Vince yesterday in regards to a contest that is being run on the website he works for. Vince is the webmaster for Hart Designs, a website that features goalie masks custom-painted by Mark Hart. You can check a number of different galleries on his website to see his work, but the contest being held is a cool opportunity. Mr. Hart will customize a mask for you! There are some rules that I suggest you check out before getting in over your head, but if this is something you'd be interested in, sign up here and cross your fingers! Thanks for the info, Vince, and good luck to all that enter!
  • The Edmonton Oilers will be holding their 4th Annual Caps for Cancer event on Monday. The Oilers have 10,000 pink and blue baseball caps that they will be selling with a player's autograph on each one. The funds raised from the sale of the caps will benefit the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, Kids with Cancer Society and charities supported by the Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation. There is an online auction for some of the caps, and that runs through November 6. Last year, the Oilers raised over $200,000 for the various charities. This is a phenomenal way to raise funds to help communities, and I commend the Oilers for their program.
  • Howard Shapiro, the author of Hockey Player For Life, has signed on with NHL.com to offer his books through the NHL.com website. This is a great opportunity for him as the NHL.com website receives a large volume of traffic daily. If you're interested in picking up a copy of Mr. Shapiro's book, please click here. If you'd like to purchase Mr. Shapiro's other book, entitled Hockey Days, please click here. Teebz's Book Club would like to point out that both of these books are suitable for children's reading, and that Christmas is coming up. Reward your hockey-loving child with one of these fantastic books.
  • I received an email from a Miss Lyndsay Hoban who works for a PR firm representing Philips' Bodygroom line of products. This is entirely unrelated to hockey on the ice, but I guess it would qualify as a product one could use in the dressing room? Maybe Mike Commodore could be a spokesman? Anyway, I found the commercial to be pretty funny, so I thought I'd offer it up to everyone else in case they wanted to get one. You know... so you're not woolly like a Yeti. Or something. Check out "Bathrobe Guy" or the "Manalogues" for more info. I got a laugh out of it.
Ok, so there are a few quick updates that should warm the cockles of your heart. If they didn't, at least you got some updates about people doing good. If I feel well enough after sleeping again, I'll be watching hockey tonight. And hopefully there won't be any other "oops" like Ryan Miller's mistake last night. At least it didn't cost Buffalo as they won in overtime. Buffalo still has no regulation losses in seven games. Impressive thus far.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: