Friday 17 December 2021

No Mo' PoMo

It's a bittersweet day in Winnipeg today as the Paul Maurice era is over. The Winnipeg Jets' head coach officially resigned today, vacating his position as head coach as he claimed that the players "need a new voice" in their quest for a Stanley Cup. While there's no one debating that the Jets are mired in a bit of a stretch where things just aren't going well, it seems hard to believe that the Jets had any plans of firing Maurice. Regardless of what the optics are, Paul Maurice stated in his press conference today that this choice to step away from the team was "100 percent" his decision.

"This is a good team. I'm a good coach, but sometimes when you take over a team it's kind of like you're starting at the bottom of a mountain and you're pushing a rock up," Maurice said. In his eight seasons, the Jets went to the Western Conference Final once while in the last four seasons of playoff appearances, but it always felt like the team fell just short of where they were expected to be. As it stands, Paul Maurice's 600th game with the team was his last, ending his run with the Jets at 315-223-62.

The shocking news rippled through the NHL today, but it sounded as though Maurice was content with this decision as he spoke at the press conference.

"I love these guys," Maurice said of the players. "I love this place. I know that it's time. And that's a good thing for the Jets. It's also a really, really good thing for me."

Assistant coach Dave Lowry will take over for the remainder of the season on an interim basis before GM Kevin Cheveldayoff makes any decisions on the future of the coaching position in the Manitoba capital. One might think there would be some tip-toeing done by Lowry, but it sounds like Maurice took care of that situation as well.

"I don't think this is how anybody would draw it up," Lowry said of Maurice leaving. "The one thing that eases the situation a little bit is that I have Paul's blessing on this. That was something that was very concerning to me. I wanted to make sure. This is Paul leaving on his own terms. That was the one thing that was communicated and re-enforced to me. He left on his own terms. And that was extremely important to me. And that he's fully supportive of the decision moving forward."

If there's one thing I know about Paul Maurice, his exit interview with reporters today was filled with class. Maurice made light of his antics on some occasions and joked with reporters about their interactions with him. But he thanked them sincerely for their dedication and he showed real appreciation for the men and women who held his feet to the fire more often than not. That's the Paul Maurice I know, so settle in for story time.

I've met Paul Maurice on one occasion. He was the guest speaker at an event I was emceeing, and he arrived somewhat early to get settled into the evening. I was introduced to him, and I gave him a quick itinerary. He didn't have to say anything more than "thank you", but he began asking me questions about my background and involvement with the hockey program who was holding the event.

What struck me was that as we chatted for a little about my involvement, he never once looked away as he listened to every word I uttered. There were people milling around as they recognized Maurice, but he was laser-focused on what I was saying. I don't know if he'll remember this minute or two of chatter, but this interaction resonated with me because he showed genuine interest in listening to my story. It's a little thing, but it made my evening on a night where he could have simply nodded and moved on after I spoke to him.

I mentioned it on Twitter today that I believed there is "Paul Maurice the coach" and "Paul Maurice the man", and we need to understand that these two concept are separate and distinct. While they may bleed into one another, "Paul Maurice the man" was the guy who stood and listened to me ramble while "Paul Maurice the coach" is the guy who stood behind the bench at Canada Life Centre. Criticize the decisions that "Paul Maurice the coach" made in his time with the Jets, but "Paul Maurice the man" should never face that ire.

The Paul Maurice era is over in Winnipeg, and I'll miss both versions of Paul Maurice who left today. Knowing how good of a person he is, though, I suspect he'll find a new challenge that keeps him happy and busy until he wants to return to the game.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: