Wednesday 8 December 2021

The Annual Recipe

I spent a little time in the kitchen this past weekend making a beverage that I routinely make at this time of the year due to it feeling like a good holiday beverage. Setting up the assembly line with my mom means I had to some hand-slapping as mom is the official Quality Control Officer when it comes to making said beverage, but her reasons for accepting that job are usually because the drink is so good. Of course, I am talking about the annual ritual we've undertaken in making homemade Irish Cream for the holiday season!

I'll be honest in saying that I don't partake in the adult beverage scene very often. I don't have a local establishment where I wet my whistle or whatever colloquialism you want to use for having a few adult beverages, but this recipe for Irish Cream is my guilty pleasure. It's smooth, it's tasty, and the bottle is usually gone before anyone notices. Thanks to Paul Lukas who writes the Uni-Watch blog who turned me on to this recipe, I can now say that I am full-fledged member of the Irish Cream club.

Without further adieu, I bring you Paul Lukas' Irish Cream!

Ingredients

2 cups of Irish whiskey*
2 cups of heavy cream**
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1 tbsp. of chocolate syrup
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
1 espresso shot***
1/4 tsp. of almond extract

Directions


Mix all ingredients in a large container and be sure to stir well. Refrigerate for a couple of hours, and enjoy over ice.

Notes

* - any mid-range Irish whiskey will do - Bushmills, Jameson, Tullamore Dew - so don't buy any high-end whiskey. You'll lose the nuances of the high-end whiskey, which is what you're paying more for, in the Irish cream mixture.
** - whipping cream at 35% works best for a thick, smooth Irish cream. At the very lowest, don't stray below 18% or you'll lose the creaminess of the beverage.
*** - an espresso shot is 1 tsp. of instant espresso in 2 tbsp. of hot water.

You'll be able to taste the blend of chocolate, espresso, and vanilla tones in the smooth, sweetened base mixture of whiskey, cream, and condensed milk. This will be a hit with whomever has the privilege of drinking it, and I guarantee you may get a few requests for the recipe when you tell your guests that you made it at home. It's honestly better than anything you can get in stores, and the ease in making it almost seems criminal when you taste the final product!

Please be responsible if you do have an adult beverage or two this holiday season. Cabs, Ubers, calling for rides, and public transportation are all better options than being stopped by the police, so please be safe and sound this holiday season if and when you get together for a holiday evening with friends and family.

Happy holidays, folks, and enjoy this great beverage responsibly!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: